Shockwave ThreapyBook Now!
Shockwave therapy is an extracorporeal therapy that works by mechanically stimulating the injured muscles that prompt stem cells to activate and start the healing process. It comprises a multidisciplinary device that is used in physiotherapy, orthopedics, urology, sports medicine, and veterinary medicine. The main benefits of this therapy are mobility restoration and speedy pain relief.
Principles of Action
With shockwave therapy, the muscles receive acoustic waves that carry high energy to the painful myoskeletal tissues with subacute, subchronic, and chronic conditions. These high energy waves provoke healing and regenerating processes of the soft tissues, tendons, and bones. The shockwaves are characterized by a sudden change in pressure, amplitude, and non-periodicity in the readings.
Working of the Device
The kinetic energy in the projectile is created by compressed air that is carried to the transmitter by the applicator. These kinetic energy shockwaves are then transferred from the device further into the tissue during the therapy.
Shockwave therapy is a non-invasive treatment for muscle spasms and chronic injuries. The application is easy and effective that is initiated in three steps:
- Identifying the area to be treated: Using palpation, the affected area is identified for precise delivery of the shockwave therapy.
- Gel application: A sufficient amount of gel is applied to the identified area for smooth and effective transfer of acoustic waves.
- Therapy initiation: The applicator is pushed against the area and the start button is pressed.
- Boosts collagen production: Collagens are building blocks of the body that heal injuries. Using the shockwave energy pulses, tissue fibres can easily form longitudinal tissues within the tendons or ligaments.
- Breaks up calcification: Calcified fibroblasts are generated in the injured area due to trauma to the tendons. These calcified fibroblasts are cleared using shockwave therapy that brings relief from chronic pain and enhances mobility.
If you are suffering from chronic pain in the muscles and are considering a shockwave therapy as a treatment, get in touch the physiotherapists at Emerald Hill Physio & Sports Clinic for a medical consult.