In a world where every second person is in a rush and too occupied, even sleeping at night may be difficult for some. On the other hand, some may have a constant feeling of anxiety due to multiple stress factors and may not get a peaceful sleep. But if you do not sleep well, then it can have an adverse impact on your health. Therefore, if you find it difficult to sleep or a get a good night sleep, then you should start with bedtime stretches. Bedtime stretches are the perfect ways to wind you down after a long day filled with hustle and bustle. It hardly takes five minutes to stretch your muscles, take a long breath and ease your way into a sound sleep. Here are some bedtime stretches that will help you to relax and sleep faster.
Here’s what you need to do:
1. Sit facing a wall about 6 inches away from it.
2. Lie back and extend your legs in the upward direction touching the wall.
3. Let your arms rest by your sides, and breathe gently.
4. Repeat the process five times taking long breaths.
The benefit of doing upside-down relaxation stress is that it improves your body posture and balancing ability. This yoga pose is also helpful to get better sleep as it relieves you of the pain in your arms and legs. You can then stretch your arms and legs easily before going to sleep.
Your state of mind is influenced by the lengthening and stretching of your neck muscles. Neck stretches release the tension in your neck and helps you to feel relaxed before sleeping.
Steps to follow in this stretch are:
1. Inhale and let your right ear fall towards your right shoulder and touch it.
2. Inhale and come back to center, and exhale to bring the left ear towards the left shoulder.
3. Repeat the process three times.
Neck stretches increases the strength, and flexibility of the neck muscles. This exercise can help you sleep faster as it reduces the pain caused in your neck. When the pain is reduced, there won’t be any stiffness around the neck, and you can easily move it from left to right.
Steps to follow this stretch are:
1. Sit cross-legged on the bed and exhale when you place your right hand on your left knee and left hand on the bed behind your tailbone.
2. Look over your left shoulder. Breathe deeply, then turn to center and repeat the same process by placing your left hand on your right knee and hand on the bed behind your tailbone.
The benefit of winding down twist is that it calms your body and mind before sleep. This twist reduces the back and the shoulder pain. It can also relax your knees and so you can easily straighten your legs while sleeping.
Fish pose stretches the front of your body, especially the throat, chest, abdomen and hip flexors. It also strengthens the upper back muscles of your neck which improves spinal flexibility.
Steps to follow this stretch are:
1. Maintain a flat back and see to it that your arms are straight, with palms on the bed.
2. Lift your chest when you inhale and then exhale gently.
3. Take 3-5 deep breaths. Repeat the process 6-8 times.
The benefit of doing fish pose stretch is that it reduces the soreness of the muscles and bones in your spine and neck. It improves metabolism, which helps those people who want to shed weight. It is specifically useful for asthma patients as it expands the bronchial tubes to permit easier breathing. Since you are able to breath comfortable, you do not experience any breathing problems while sleeping and you can get a sound sleep.
So, if you are unable to sleep well at night, then make sure you follow some of these bedtime exercises. If you want to know more about the exercises that allow you to sleep better, then you can contact any physio clinic for additional information.